On 27 September 1944, when a German unit descending from the ridge at Lake Scaffaiolo reached Ca’ Berna a volley of 12 shots were fired at it by three partisans, although none of the troops was wounded. Even though his unit suffered no losses, the commandant ordered a reprisal in which 29 people were killed. In the evening, the unit reached Vidiciatico, where it rounded up a large number of hostages. The next morning, the Germans left the town and headed for the Ronchidoso area.
The monument was erected in 1945 by Antonio Bernardini in the place where the victims were buried. The bodies were transferred to Vidiciatico in 1954.