The bridges saved from destruction
In April 1945, preparing to withdraw, the Germans set charges on all the bridges, and on 20 April they blew up the hydroelectric power station at Sagradino (San Michele). The bridges were saved by Mons. Luigi Bernardi, who managed to persuade the German soldier assigned to blow them up to set off a heap of bullets instead of the charges of dynamite. A few days later the same soldier deserted and joined the partisans.